Tuesday, June 05, 2007

As the Saga continues.............

So last I wrote....4 years ago yesterday I was staying the night in Chicago. 4 years ago today I was getting up and heading to the airport to fly from Chicago to Miami and Miami to Port-Au-Prince. I arrived in Port-Au-Prince in the early afternoon. Barbara and Kendra had other appointments so I walked out of the airport alone (that can be pretty scary!) and I had to wait for about 1 hour for Barb to come get me. A little while into it an older gentleman came up to me and said "You wait for Baaaa-ba-wa???? Lady in Blue dress?" I said yes and then recognized him. It was a man that Barbara called Papa. He at one point had taken care of Noah for a while. So he waited with me until Barbara and Kendra arrived. They arrived around 3:00 and we headed off immediately to the consulate. Barbara dropped off Kendra and myself but I was the only one allowed in. I was able to go in, meet with Katharine Sharp, and quickly sign all my papers. I came out with ALL my paperwork in hand.....ready to see the kids! We ended up having to stand around a while waiting for Barbara to come back. The was NO ONE on the street where we were and we kept hearing a cat. We kept looking around and looking around and exchanging confused looks lol. Suddenly a woman walks by holding a "sack" and the sack was.....well....meowing and moving lol. We looked at each other and exchanged comments like "Cat...the other white meat" and "I know whats for supper tonight!" lol Barbara came and picked us up and immediately headed to the orphanage (it was around 5 by now). I was VERY nervous as the 2 weeks we had spent with the kids had NOT gone well with Sanite. She was/is very stubborn and very independent. The thought of calling us mama and papa and actually "succumbing" to those titles was just overwhelming for her. So here we had spent 2 weeks with her and then turned around and left her just like anyone else in her life. I was terrified that I was REALLY going to PAY for leaving her. I walked in to see a sea of 26 faces all eating dinner and I hear someone yelling MAMA! MAMA! It was my darling daughter! She was standing up in her seat pointing at me with her fork. She was so excited to see me it melted my heart .....and still does to this day. Noah was busy eating (so what else is new) and he didn't really care if I was there or not LOL. He ended up getting quite attached to the Orphanage director and I literally had to PEEL him off of her. The 3 of us headed back to the guest house where I bedded them down for the night and up VERY early the following morning to leave for Home Sweet Home....The good 'ol USA.............

No comments: