Friday, June 27, 2008

She's Swimming!

As I have mentioned in other posts, Maddie is an absolute fish when it comes to water....she floats on her back (for fun), dives face first in to the water, and the second her toes touch the water she is a kickin. Yesterday afternoon I thought I would take her life jacket off and see what she could do. I took her out into water where she couldn't touch well (about 3 1/2 ft) and this is what happened...




Can you believe it??? She was swimming by herself! She dove her head under the water and just started kicking! She was able to swim for about 5 ft without coming up for air. She kept asking to do it again and again....then she wanted to jump in and swim to me...which she did...quite well! What can I say! I think she is part fish!



The other kids were also doing quite well! Noah gets stronger and stronger every time we swim. It is amazing to watch! He is brave enough now to go off the slide in the deep end and off the diving board all by himself. Better yet...I know he is a strong enough swimmer that I don't have to be at the bottom of that slide or diving board praying he doesn't land on me waiting for him.


Katharine on the other hand, seems to have "digressed" a little this year. Last year she was going off the diving board with confidence. This year I have had issue getting her to go where she can't touch. She immediately "freaks out" and takes her eyes off of her goal. Being as part of her issues are "keeping focus" this should not come as a surprise. If it doesn't come easily...its usually not worth doing (according to her). But alas...mama wont let her give up quite so easily. 1st thing we did at the pool was the four of us plus Aunt Terri headed over to where it was 4 ft. I made them take turns swimming to me (Maddie still had her life jacket on at this point). After making her swim a few times she seems to get more and more confidant. By the end of the day she was going off the slide in the deep end with me there ready to drown catch her.








No comments: