Thursday, August 07, 2008

We will never EVER feed the birds..EVER again


While on a run for hubby's business today we decided to go to the zoo. The zoo has a cute little splash park as well as all the animals and playgrounds so the kids tend to love it. I usually bring about $5 and let the kids pick ONE activity to do. They can ride the carousel, ride the train or tram, feed the Lorikeets, feed the girraffe's etc. Today they chose to feed the lorikeets...now lets rewind....................

4 years ago (before Maddie came home) Kyle and I took Noah and Katharine to the Newport aquarium and went in to see the Lorikeets. The moment we went in there Katharine screamed at the top of her lungs. The birds were touching her...the birds were landing on her....the birds were......well......stuck in her hair. Yes you read that right...there was a bird stuck in here hair. She absolutely REFUSED to go into the area with the birds since then. So color me surprised when she said today she wanted to feed the birds.......now come back into time........

Katharine was so excited! She did not want to hold the cup of nectar but she DID want the bird to land on her. I had Noah hold the cup and was able to get a bird to land on Katharine's arm and she let him drink the nectar from Noah. The whole time Maddie is sticking her arm back and drawing back quickly as she is NOT sure what to think of this whole situation (she has never been in here before because of a freaked out sister, remember?). They then trade where Maddie is holding the cup and Noah is holding the bird. The bird then climbs on my shoulders and crawls up my head and scratches on my head....*insert laughs of children here*. The bird goes back to Noah and Maddie is still sticking her arm up. She gets her arm close to the birds feet and....yep...the bird bit her. She starts screaming...jumping up and down...yelling "I DON"T LIKE BIRDS!!! THEY BITE ME!!!!! HE HURT ME!!! I DON'T WANT TO SEE A BIRD EVER AGAIN!" and the screaming continues...all the while she has now freaked out the bird and it has decided to fly back up to the to of my head and try to hide. The lady in there say "would you like me to get him off of you?" So I said No lady, I have a screaming kid who is now afraid of birds and mommy can't even lean down to pick her up because a freaked out bird who obviously needs some Valium has decided to make a nest on my head. Please let it stay! "Yes please." So now I get to take my little girl who is jumping up and down showing her bite to everyone that would look (it was hard not to when there is a 4yo screaming at the top of her lungs "LOOKY MOMMY DA BIRD BITE ME!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW). While the lady is trying to shoo the bird off my head......I am so glad I do not have a picture of that one..........



2 comments:

lori shepler - said...

man i wish you'd have thought to grab a camera & take pics WHILE this' all going on!! - alright, back to 'nice lori', how's maddie now? - can't wait to hear her version of the story!!

MamaLlama said...

Poor Maddie-Lou! Poor mama! We have NEVEr gone back into that area after Pam was bitten a couple of years ago!
Michele