Wednesday, April 02, 2008

WFMW- Greatest hits!







*This version of WFMW is a "greatest hits" edition. Here is one of my favorites as it continually is true for me!*




Every time I would go to the grocery store I would tend to buy off the top of my head. I went in with no list, and just a guess of what would work for the week. My average grocery bill was astronomical (compared to what I can get away with now). I started making menus and keeping a running list of what I needed for the week. Once I would go to the grocery store I would not stray from that list (unless necessary items such as medicine). It had helped us lower our grocery bill so much! Also we tend to go multiple places for our food. For example we go to the local meat processing plant and buy meat cheaper than we can at walmart. Not to mention it is fresh and does not have the added nitrates. We also participate in a buying club or -co-op. Being able to share the ability to buy in bulk certainly helps us eat healthier and maintain a cheaper food bill! For more info on buying clubs check out the Natural Farms Site . These are some great things that work for us. I don't know if it will work for you, but it sure works for me!



*update* At the time I did this, I was only making a list of what we would need for dinner and not planning our meals for all 3 meals daily. I was challenged by Crystal to make a budget and keep it. We set our budget for a family of 5 at $50 per week....I could not keep this budget until I started writing all 3 meals down. It has made a huge difference in the variety of food we eat ( we ate peanut butter quite a bit lol) As a matter of fact we rarely eat the same thing twice in a week for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner. too cool!*

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I've been doing a freezer inventory on the meat I have and plan to make up a menu list today. I only do dinners because my kids are older and we don't do breakfast or lunch together. But I can see how incorporating 'homemade pancakes' or 'French toast' into my list would help me save money. Homemade French toast that you put in the freezer has to be better and cheaper than Aunt Jemima, LOL!

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

I am still amazed at how much I can get for so little when I have a plan and coupons. People still cannot seem to understand how I can feed 6 people for $50! I love the challenge.