Sunday, October 21, 2007

Today and hair *WHEW*

So after having 3 people sick for 5 days, things have been left askew around this house! In all of those 5 days at least 1 adult was completely out of commission and on 2 days we were both "not worth a penny." Needless to say I had some major cleaning to do today...all I did was clean, and re-clean, and re-clean. I washed about 6 loads of laundry (washed and hung on the line), carved 2 pumpkins, boiled the pumpkin, made pies out of both of them, scattered the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkins in hopes of having more pumpkins grow next year, made a huge breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes (this was because I found out after I started making pancakes that we neither had syrup or peanut butter lol) from scratch and sausage for lunch, scrubbed the bathrooms from top to bottom, changed the kitty litter box and scrubbed it down, did all the dishes (no dishwasher, its all manpower here:) go back and add up all the cooking then add in dishes for 5 people for breakfast lunch and dinner), I took down Maddie's hair, gave her a bath, oiled her up ( I LOVE the carols daughter oil on the skin just after a bath....it makes them smell SO yummy!) and of course we have our hair washing today. Just her time of being in the tub with stuff sitting on her head is 30 minutes....

For those curious about our "Hair Routine"- When it comes time to do "hair" in our house, we take out the old "do" and get into the tub. I heat up a Melaleuca hot oil treatment (sometimes replaced by a good ol olive oil and honey mixture...but no honey this month :( ) and place about 1 ounce of it on her head. I leave it on for about 5 minutes (sometimes with the oil and honey I put a plastic hat over her head and let her play for about 30 minutes), and then I rinse it out. I then wash the hair using the pantene for women of color conditioner. Yes you read that right...not shampoo but conditioner. To those of us involved in doing our kids hair, this is known as "no-poo." Conditioner has enough detergent in it to clean the hair but yet it is not as harsh and will not strip out the natural oils. This has worked VERY well for Maddie as she has the driest hair out of all 3of my kiddos. After I put this conditioner on her hair, I wash it like I would shampoo only I leave it on for 5 minutes after "scrubbing." I then rise the conditioner out of her hair and then put in a "deep conditioner." The best I have found for her hair is either the Carols Daughter deep treatment or using a ton of the Jamaican mango and Lime Protein conditioner. I leave that on for 5 minutes and then come in to take a wide tooth comb through her hair (this is the ONLY time I actually comb her hair). After I get a WIDE tooth comb through it, I let it sit for another 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes I rinse and then add Carols Daughter Mimosa hair honey or loc butter (both work WONDERS on Maddie's hair). Hair her is then SOOOOOO soft and it smells soooooooooo yummy.

As for Noah's hair treatment- very easy...melaleuca naturals shampoo, followed by a 15 minute treatment of the Jamaican mango and lime protein conditioner. Rinse and add in Carols daughter's Mimosa Hair Honey or Loc Butter. Both work great on him! I use the Mimosa Hair honey/loc butter on him every day and it keeps his hair looking nice and shiny!

Sanite hair treatment- even easier! I wash her hair about once every week with the Melaleuca naturals shampoo and then after bath I put in the mimosa hair honey..but ONLY after the bath. I have found that I can not put hardly any product in her hair as the locs will trap it. At any rate, one does not want locs to be "soft" anyway as they will not loc up as well. During the week I spray her hair with a homemade spray of 1 part olive oil to 2 parts water. Sometimes I add a scent to it or sometimes I add in Essential oils of peppermint, rosemary, and/or lavender. They all smell yummy and help promote hair growth. When Maddie's hair is up in some sort of "do" I also use this on her hair. I wouldn't want to rub the butter or hair honey on her pretty little braids!

3 comments:

lori shepler - said...

can't wait to see pics!

Ladyterri said...

You wear me out sister! I don't know how you do it all and keep your sanity, much less all the kids still having hair!

lori shepler - said...

love the new siggy!! - did you see mine? - i added one a long time ago, then took it off & redid it yesterday i think.. hm, slept since then so i'm not sure!

lori